15 of 20
Weeping Japanese Maple
Image by titanium22 via Flickr used under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license
- Latin Name: Acer palmatum varieties
- Family: Aceraceae
- Other Common Names:Smooth Japanese maple
- Native to: China, Japan, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Russia
- USDA Zones: Each variety can be different but generally 5-9
- Height: Depends on the variety. Many are 15-25' tall.
- Exposure: Full sun to part shade
- Growing profile for the Japanese maple
- Maple Trees
- How to Identify a Maple Tree
This staple of the bonsai world can also add an Asian flair to your garden. Some Japanese maples with a weeping habit include any with 'Dissectum' in the name, 'Matsukake', 'Omuyarama' and 'Green Cascade'.