If a fruit is indehiscent, it does not split open when it is mature, even if it has a seam. In order for the seeds to be spread, they may have to be digested by an animal, for example.
Types of fruits that are indehiscent include achenes, anthocarps, grains, schizocarps, samaras, nuts and utricles.
Examples of trees and shrubs with indehiscent fruit:
- Carob (Ceratonia siliqua)
- Chestnut (Castanea sativa)
- Honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos)
- Magnolia trees (Magnolia spp.)
- Nut trees (Various species like the black walnut (Juglans nigra)
- Pisonia trees (Pisonia umbellifera)
- Sycamore trees (Platanus spp)
- Tipu tree (Tipuana tipu)
- Tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima)